Our School Saint
Endsleigh Holy Child primary school’s name has a two-fold meaning.
Built as part of the Endsleigh convent complex founded by Catherine McAluey as the Hull home for the Sisters of Mercy.
The Sisters of Mercy first arrived in Hull in 1856 in response to a request from the Parish Priest of St Charles’ Hull to take charge of the education of Catholic children in the City.
After some years in Wilton Street and Anlaby Road, Endsleigh was opened as a Convent on the Feast of Our Lady Help of Christians in 1901 and was dedicated to St Anthony.
In 1905 in response to a request from the Catholic Education Council, a Training College for Women Teachers was opened on the site. By 1960 the College was extended to cater for a three-year Course for Student Teachers as there were by then 450 students. However, by the 1970s with many changes in Government Policy the College merged with other local institutes the Sisters withdrew from the college and the buildings were sold. The Sisters retained the convent together with the College Chapel and Hall.
The Christ Child, also known as the Holy Child or Divine Infant, Baby Jesus, Infant Jesus, Child Jesus or Santo Niño, refers to Jesus Christ from his nativity to age 12. The four gospels accepted by most Christians today do not tell anything of the years between Jesus' infancy and the Finding in the Temple when he was 12 years of age.